Pages

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Coconut Macaroons Recipe and Picture


My holiday baking season is coming to an end and here are a few more blog posts about some of my latest creations. Thankfully I had some willing testers to eat my first-time attempts! First up, are my coconut macaroons which were very simple to make. Coconut-lovers beware, this is your dessert!

The recipe was taken from Karen's Cookies Cakes & More (thank you Karen!!):

Ingredients:
3 large egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 package (14 ounces) sweetened flaked coconut (5 1/3 cups)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper (or coat generously with nonstick cooking spray). In a large bowl, whisk together egg whites, sugar, and salt until frothy.With a fork, stir in coconut until moistened. Drop mixture by packed level tablespoons onto prepared sheet (cookies will not spread). Bake until lightly golden, 25 to 30 minutes.

I actually halved the recipe because I forgot that I needed 14 oz of coconut flakes! The supermarket sold the flakes in bags of 7 oz so I only purchased one bag. I went with the unsweetened flakes because I figured that I was already adding sugar into the recipe. Also, I used a very small cookie scooper to make my mounds so I only needed to bake them for 15 minutes. I recommend checking them in the oven for the right golden coloring! My first batch was a little over cooked after 18 minutes (aka burned) but still edible.

Verdict? Very tasty and easy to make. They tasted great out of the oven and also after they've cooled for several hours. I can't say about next day edibility because they were all gone at my taste-testing. Jander says that macaroons are normally more solid and made with a cookie dough as well. Please comment if you have any suggestions...

1 comment:

Kimball said...

wow.. this is easier to make then it looked.. i'll try this oneday

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape