Pages

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Sponge Cake Roll with Strawberries

I was treated to a delicious dessert over the weekend by our good friends Yu-ori. She mentioned that her oven was finally fixed so she could start baking again! Yipee. One of her first recipes was a sponge cake roll filled with whipped cream and strawberries. Now, this was something that I had to taste because I would actually make this for myself. She said it wasn't difficult to make. Sadly she didn't take any pictures during her baking process but she'll share her recipe with me next time. So stay tuned!

Overall, the sponge cake roll was delicious. The sponge cake itself was nice and sweet. It tasted better the first day I had it, because once I ate the refrigerated leftovers, it didn't taste *as* good. Surprisingly, I loved the whipped cream because it was also sweet but not overly sweet. I enjoyed my first piece because it was an end piece with all the strawberries! The picture above was a piece of the cake from the middle (thus less strawberries).

Jander suggested stuffing the sponge cake with other food items for example, cream cheese! smoked salmon! in order to make a taste like a Philadelphia roll. Or even a large futomaki roll. haha. I had more reasonable suggestions - mixed berries! melons! chocolate sprinkles!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

I don't know about Jander's suggestion to add things like smoke salmon :p but I plan on making it again.... maybe a green tea version. Or adding different kinds of berries.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape