Pages

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Kinder Surprise Easter Eggs!

Happy Easter everyone! Tomorrow is the traditional Easter egg hunt, so I figured I would talk about another type of egg hunt. I recently came upon the Kinder Surprise which are are hollow egg chocolates made by Italy's Ferrero Group that contains a surprise toy. Neat-o!

The reason why I've never seen them before is because they are actually illegal in the United States. They were banned in 1997 by the Consumer Product Safety Commission warned that the toys can pose a choking hazard for children under 3. The Food and Drug Administration also prohibited embedding 'non-nutritive' items inside candy. I think this means they think that kids would be confused with eating the toy. Despite the ban, there are still ways to purchase the Kinder Surprise eggs especially on the Internet. Or, you can simply travel across the Canadian border to purchase these eggs!

Here are all the eggs that we were able to purchase in the Canadian grocery store. They cost about $1 Canadian dollar each. We could have brought more eggs but unfortunately we wiped out the entire stock from the store. I guess only Americans are only interested in chocolate eggs.


The foil wrapping uncovered a chocolate egg shell that split open quite easily. It was a little messy to eat the chocolate since it melted really quickly in my hands. However it is interesting to note that it is milk chocolate on the outside and white chocolate on the inside. But onto the surprise which is hidden inside a yellow case. Here's another picture of the revealing process...



Finally, here is a picture of my toy!! First, I carefully pulled out the instructions since I read that keeping the instructions significantly increases the value of the toy. Most toy collectors are looking for all original parts. Next I pulled out 3 separate blue pieces consisting of a flying wheel, a base and a cord - apparently I can decorate the toy with stickers. I'm not sure what to call the toy but I can make the wheel fly into the air by placing it on the base and pulling the cord.


Not shown here is another chocolate egg that contained a collectible figurine. I am looking forward to slowly opening each egg to reveal the surprise toy!!!

1 comment:

** Beauty and All That said...

This company also makes one of my other favorite chocolate candy, the Kinder Bueno- a chocolate-hazelnut delight!

I thought the toys would be more like figurines, but the chocolate egg looks tasty! Save me one!

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape