Pages

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Square Watermelons

This is an old article but I thought it would be neat to mention since the summer is here. The most refreshing fruit to eat during the season is watermelons! I love eating watermelons especially when I'm at bbqs.

So the only shape of watermelons that I've seen in supermarkets or farms are the round or oval shaped ones but....have you ever seen a square one?! Japanese consumers have always struggled with fitting round watermelons into their small refrigerators. The fruit would also roll around and take up a lot of space. In a clever response, Japanese farmers on a south-western island of Shikoku started growing watermelons in glass square cubes. The fruit naturally assume the shape of the cubes. Each melon sells for 10,000 yen, equivalent to $83 (in 2001) and is about 2 or 3 times the price of a regular watermelon.




Opinions wanted: Would you pay more money for a square watermelon??

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Only in Japan....

Peggy said...

Saori, I thought of you guys when I read the article. I think I would only buy it just to experience eating a square watermelon!

Jander said...

I want to see the inside of your fridge, Sorry-hime!

Arielle's Mommy said...

heck no, of course i wont pay the extra moola for that square watermelon :D it all tastes the same.

Unknown said...

Sorry, I don't even like the round ones.

Jander said...

Next time you go to Japan, you know what I want!

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape