Pages

Sunday, May 4, 2008

I Am Iron Man!

http://ironmanmovie.marvel.com/


Marvel Comics has translated a number of comic books to the big screen. There have been a handful of success stories (Spiderman 1/2/3), a number of box office duds (Daredevil and Elektra), and a smattering of movies that have fallen somewhere in between (Fantastic Four 1/2, The Incredible Hulk, and Ghostrider). Marvel's latest movie adaptation is Iron Man.

Robert Downey Jr stars as Tony Stark aka Iron Man. While I had my doubts prior to seeing the movie, I feel that he was cast perfectly in this role. At the very least, he looks like Tony Stark!

Gwyneth Paltrow fills the roll of Tony Stark's endearing assistant, Pepper Potts. Did Pepper Potts actually exist in the comic books? I can't remember.

Jeff Bridges plays the part of Tony Stark's one-time mentor and corporate partner, Obidiah Stane. I wouldn't have recognized him if I didn't know in advance that it was him. He doesn't look like a nice guy...

Check out the trailer and try to tell me that you don't want to watch the movie:



I don't want to ruin anything for those who plan to watch the movie, but at mark 1:52in the trailer it looks like Tony and Pepper share a moment. I hazard the guess that Gwyneth and Robert did not perform a convincing kiss on-camera as the scene was cut from the movie.

Here's a headshot of what some of the various incarnations of Iron Man look like throughout the movie.

It's a little unrealistic that it only takes 5 or 6 hours for the Mark3 suit to be manufactured. I'm still not too clear where it's actually assembled - but I guess if Tony can create the Mark1 suit in a cave with a hammer and blowtorch, it has to be mind boggling what he can invent in a high tech facility like his basement.

Since I don't want to ruin anything, all I'll say is that Iron Man is a movie well worth watching. Iron Man looks great, the acting is decent-to-good, and the special effects were well-done.

One last thing - sit through the credits as there is a special scene at the end that you won't want to miss.

No comments:

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape