Pages

Monday, May 19, 2008

Spicy AHI

AHI & Vegetables
1126 Fort St. Mall
Honolulu, HI

Aloha! The best part about traveling is certainly trying the local food. Naturally in Hawaii the freshest food in abundance is fish. Raw fish. Lots of it. And most of you that know me, know that I hate raw fish. I frequent Japanese restaurants but avoid the sashimi. But as they say, when in Rome....So when we came upon this place that has the word "Ahi" in the name, is there anything else to order but ahi??? It was a no-brainer. And after checking out what the customers ordered, I wondered "what is the mysterious red lump on everyone's plates?" Well my friends, it is the SPICY AHI.

This is absolutely the BEST dish I have ever tasted. It does not even taste like raw fish. The slow burn of the spice didn't hit my throat until a few seconds afterwards but once it did, I relished the soothing taste of the sweet rice and seaweed. Yum!! The meal is also very reasonably priced, only $6.72 for a taste of heaven!! Seriously, I could eat this meal every single day of my life. Here's a picture of my food - I had to take a few bites of the spicy ahi before I realized that I have to take a picture of it.

Jander ordered the sashimi plate - raw salmon and tuna. Beautiful cuts of fresh fish. And can you believe this came from a small shop in a mall?? Please skip the Filipino and Korean food stands that are nearby. There really is no competition when it comes to delicious satisfying food. The tables may be packed with people and the lines may be long.....but the wait is worth it. The natto (fermented Japanese soybean) and ahi is also another popular plate but I didn't get a chance to taste it.

Also try the fruit smoothie stand across the street - but if someone can tell me why they offer RAW egg with every smoothie, please explain.




Maholo!

1 comment:

drdr said...

wow. you liked it *that* much?

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape