Pages

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Always Be My Baby

Let's face it, American Idol is a powerhouse of a reality show churning out kids with mediocre talent with slick makeovers. However despite numerous seasons with winners who are easily forgettable (Taylor Hicks who?), the laws of probability say that there should be a real gem of a talent among the contestants in the past 7 seasons. (Carrie Underwood!). Yet the majority of the singers relied on their voices and charisma to win the votes. Where was the originality? Thinking outside of the box? While there have been glimpses of unique musicality in previous seasons (i.e. beat-bopping), it takes a real artist to take a popular pop song and transform it to a hauntingly dark (border-line stalkerish) love song.


And that is exactly what describes David Cook! His rendition of Mariah Carey's "Always Be My Baby" was remarkably refreshing. I am in love with this song - from the moment I heard it, I had to take a double-take from the television because I did not recognize Mariah's song. However once I realized what David was singing, I was floored with his unique take on the song. Were these the same lyrics that Mariah sang from my radio when I was in high school?? Yes!!


You have to listen to believe! (And then worship the talent of David Cook).




1 comment:

Kimball said...

wow that was sooo good! I haven't been following American Idol but this makes me wanna check it out ;)

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape