Pages

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Guggenheim Museum

Attention all NYC tourists: the best thing about NYC museums is that they are all free or "pay as you wish" at certain times of the week. And in my quest to revisit all the museums (well, at least all the major ones) for a second or third time...I decided to venture to the Guggenheim Museum on a Friday afternoon. Little did I know that the admission fee is "Pay As You Wish" on Fridays beginning at 5:45 pm. Click here for more information on hours and ticketing.

As a slave to Corporate America, I realized that one of my (few) perks include free admission to NYC museums. And even better, I was able to cut the LONG line of tourists waiting for the 'free' tickets!! I just flashed my corporate identification card (which honestly, I don't think is that distinguishable from an expired employee card) and walked past the security guards. Whoo hoo!

Currently on display until September 28 are the sculptures and paintings by Louis Bourgeois. Honestly, I didn't get some of the pieces....wooden blocks stacked on each other, white washed fences, antique doors, marbled structures. There were also some drawings and sketches but it looked like something my 8 year old cousin could draw. Hmm I also began to wonder if great artists are a little unstable in the mind if this is the result of their creativity. I wasn't too impressed but I enjoyed walking around the Guggenheim Museum. It is an enjoyable museum to visit because the space is spiral shaped and very open. It is a good space for displaying unusual artwork. So far that reason, I will return to the Guggenheim for future exhibits.
Here's a picture taken in the lobby:

No comments:

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape